Artist spotlight: Mary Casey and a winner!!


Hi there....excited to announce the very lucky winner of the beautiful Safavieh rug. I used random.org and want to send out a hearty congratulations to.......

Prize IDWinner IDPublic InfoPrivate InfoRandom Sorting IDWeight
1: 6X9 rug2934060LIZ B FROM MIAMI0018D57F-D179-4ED3-82B4-8DD22F7D19031


Please get in touch with me at theenchantedhome@gmail.com, so that you can provide your shipping information and this gorgeous rug can be on its way to you!

A few weeks ago I posed about the most exquisite and generous oil painting I received of Teddy. This was given to me as a gift by the uber talented artist Mary Casey who is incidentally a reader of my blog and was so moved by the story of Teddy's attack back in April. So true......you just never know who is reading your blog! I was touched more than words can convey at this incredibly kind gesture. She was so touched by Teddy's horrid ordeal that she felt inspired to paint him. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was when I laid eyes on this work of art!

Mary is incredibly talented and I got several inquires about her work including a few who want to represent her, no surprise there. So Mary was kind enough to share with me a few more of her pieces and grant me this lovely interview. Mary does not have a website however for anyone who is interested in contacting Mary to commission her for their own pet portrait (or any other kind) her contact information is at the bottom of this post.I am so happy to feature her here today as her gift is one worth sharing with everyone I know. In addition Mary has just now started up her own blog, so please do stop on over and welcome her to blogland! Click here to visit her blog.  Enough of me....lets hear from Mary and what inspires her as an artist.......

1.    How long have you been painting and what inspired you to begin? Did you know that you had a gift early on?  I have been drawing and painting all my life, as long as I can remember, and went into graphic design, continued to paint.  I worked corporately for @15 year, as a designer and illustrator for Nike, then as I wanted to focus more on family, I retired for a few years, and now I am teaching art at a small private grade/middle school, part time.  This job allows me to paint and focus on what I love.  And helps me to be better- if you want to get better at something, teach it.


2.   What is your favorite style/subject to paint?  My favorite things to paint are portraits, and of course, dogs, or pets.  People as well, but I do really love to  paint dogs.

3.   Who are some of your favorite artists and types of paintings?    I have a varied list of painters I love, but heavily influenced now by the masters, Rembrandt, and the old masters of dog painting too, such as George Stubbs, famous for his horses, plus animals in general.  Maud Earl, dogs and horses.  A particular favorite is Eugene-Joseph Verboeckhoven.

Stubbs

Verboeckhoven- Old master favorite, in fact I have started a reproduction painting of his, to study.  Famous for painting lots of animals.

One of my current contemporary favorite painters is Sherrie Wolf, who paints in the 18th century “old masters” style, but takes paintings and rearranges items, repaints them, and sometimes borrows from other paintings.


Very beautiful and very fresh, contemporary.


4. If you could meet one artist dead or alive, who would it be and why?  I would love to meet Picasso, I think his passion and the way he saw the world is fascinating. I love a couple of his quotes:  “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”― Pablo Picasso.  Being a teacher, it’s so true, if only we could only keep the innocence and enthusiasm for what we see!  And another favorite: “If I paint a wild horse, you might not see the horse... but surely you will see the wildness!” 
― Pablo Picasso  While I don’t emulate his style, I love the fact that he aspires to capture the truest essence of something.

5. What is something you would like to paint that you have never tried before? I would love to paint wallpaper, Chinoiserie. I was obsessed with De Gournay for a while, and have been talking to a friend who may want to start a project...

6. Do you have your own studio and is this a full time job or a hobby? I have a small studio in a sunny corner room of our house, that works well.  I sometimes use the school, or office there too.  But mostly my home studio.

7. How long does an average painting take you?  This very much depends on size and complexity, how many subjects in the painting, etc.  I often do a sketch first, which takes about a few days to a week, and pending changes from the customer, I go onto the painting.  About a month is probably average.  I usually have 3-4 going at one time.  It’s crucial to walk away from a painting at times during the process, and give it a rest for a couple days.

8. Any good advice for novices looking to start collecting art, things to look for or bear in mind? I think looking at paintings/art regarding either a subject or style that one is passionate about is important.  Collecting doesn’t have to be expensive, I remember reading that the designer Michael Smith, LA and NY designer to the stars, white house, etc. often looks for local unknown artists to put in houses.  Visiting “first thursdays”, (as they are known here), gallery receptions and show openings.  Look at a lot of art.  Getting acquainted with the art scene in your area, or online, following artists that you love, that compliment your style of home. I have seen some gorgeous antique paintings become available through some of the online auctions.  Takes some patience to follow them and constantly check to see what’s available, but worth it if you find a treasure……


And now here are some of Mary's beautiful pieces.....certainly hold their own next to any artist. Her attention to detail and sense of realism is astounding!

Recognize this cute little fella? This is one of my most treasured possessions!







Isn't she AMAZING? Oh to have that kind of God given talent......I would be painting all day in my little artists studio overlooking the sea with only a lighthouse in the distance only breaking for my meals, ensconced in my studio all day and night creating works of art craved by the world to see. Sorry, I am a dreamer and my mind drifts at times......Back to earth Tina!!!!......... I am so in awe of her gift, there is simply no other way to describe it! If you are interested in contacting Mary and commissioning her  for your very masterpiece, her email address is- 

      . 
Mary, cannot thank you enough for being my guest today and giving us a peek into your beautiful art filled world and to all of you for stopping in. Wishing everyone a fabulous day!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment